Making the move from a children’s hospital to an adult hospital is a new and exciting chapter in your life, but it may also bring on feelings of uncertainty and fear. These feelings are normal as you transfer into an adult hospital and meet your new healthcare team for the first time. Your parent(s)/guardian(s) have likely played an important role in managing your health care thus far, however now is the time that you continue to take charge of your own health, and become a more independent adult.
The transition team and your ACHD team are here to support you during this new phase in your life. We recognize the importance of coaching adolescents and young adults to ensure a smooth and successful transition and transfer to adult healthcare.
Who are we?
The Cardiac Transition Program was launched in 2020 through the support of CardiacKids. This program was developed and implemented by healthcare providers from both the Toronto ACHD Program and the SickKids Labatt Family Heart Centre. The team includes cardiac nurses and physicians with expertise in the transition of adolescents and young adults with congenital heart disease.
What is our goal?
To help empower and support adolescents and young adults as they move from child-centered to adult-centered healthcare by addressing their medical, psychosocial, educational and vocational needs during this important time in their life.
What do we do?
Some of the services offered by the Cardiac Transition Program include:
- Increasing patient knowledge of their cardiac diagnosis, interventions, medical management and lifestyle choices (beginning at the age of 14years old)
- Supporting patients in the development of their self-management and self-advocacy skills
- Providing virtual “meet and greet” opportunities for patients to connect with the adult healthcare team
How do we do this?
- By providing patients with nurse lead 1:1 education session(s) which are tailored, and developmentally appropriate for each patient. These sessions are available both in person and virtually.
- Continued support post transfer from pediatric to adult healthcare
If you have any questions related to your transition to adult care and you HAVE HAD your first appointment at the ACHD clinic please contact the office of your primary ACHD cardiologist.
If you have any questions related to your transition to adult care and you HAVE NOT had your first appointment at the ACHD clinic please contact email@example.com.